[squeak-dev] IMPORTANT: Election candidates!

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:43:24 UTC 2010

Hi Ian,

first off, thanks for your many questions. I really appreciate that.
Having a hard time helps. :-)

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Ian Trudel <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point is also that Squeak developers need a good motivation to work
> on the ideas proposed. Anything addressed to children won't cut it
> because we have no immediate use for it. This is perhaps where the
> trunk comes successful because it is self serving and it generates
> motivation and energy.

You are right - but again, the documentation effort would not only be
about Squeak for developers, but also for Squeak for beginners. Why
should their parents get them a book on, say, Java, or, God forbid, C
when there was something for Squeak available?

>> First, form a documentation team representing different stakeholders,
>> identify issues that need to be addressed (poll?), think about how to
>> address those (technically, socially, whateverly).
>
> I agree and I like your idea to query the community with polls.

Well, what else?

> See, a plan is taking shape. It's important to write these things down
> even when it's obvious, then we can bounce ideas to each other in a
> productive manner.

In fact, the plan was there before. Formulating it for others really
helps, though. Again, thanks for asking.

> Thanks for the clarifications!

Sure.

BTW I just glimpsed at HelpSystem. Yup, that's it. Almost. Have you
looked at the API documentation? "This method has no comment" all over
the place. But hey, there's an *infrastructure* that will, if I
understand it correctly, help with *many* of the points I mentioned
earlier. Wishes emerge: usable documentation inside and outside the
image; navigability from code to documentation; ... wonderful work.
:-)

Best,

Michael