[squeak-dev] PackageDependencyTest

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 05:37:07 UTC 2010

Folks -

I just posted a set of tests for various package dependencies. I'm
hoping that this will serve two purposes:

1) Inspire people to pick up and remove unneeded dependencies. For
example, if look at testCollections you'll find MorphicExtras listed
among the Collection dependencies.

If you remove the dependency from the test the test will fail and you
can look at the dependencies to see that there's a dependency on
BookMorph. A bit of digging leads you to TextSqkPageLink in
Collections-Text and you can now look at how to rewrite this to avoid
the dependency. (we should keep better track of the dependencies;
keeping original method references would be good)

Effectively this is sort of a test driven untanglement approach - you
pick a particular dependency, make the test fail, track it down, remove
it, make the test pass.

2) Keep track of the existing dependencies and ensure they don't get any
worse than they are today. These tests can hopefully raise awareness to
these issues by documenting the dependencies and failing if new ones get
added carelessly.

Cheers,
   - Andreas