[squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:35:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> I like Keith proposition, and  I think it's also urgent to read the
> Newspeak ones before making any modification

I also generally like the idea of binding things via messages instead
of via global state, and the Newspeak pointer is just right in this
regard.

But I believe we must not forget that Newspeak is extremely consequent
in that everything is late-bound; Smalltalk just isn't. (Newspeak even
late-binds super classes at object instantiation time.)

Apart from that, Object is already rather cluttered.

Some questions:
How appropriate would such a model be in Smalltalk?
Is there a scenario where "the image" would not be global state? (Hydra?)

Note that I'm not totally opposed to these ideas, just skeptical. :-)

Best,

Michael