[squeak-dev] Re: Simple Frame Adornments - default value (was: unsaved changes indicator)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 21:49:44 UTC 2010

On 3/3/2010 12:40 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Thanks for adding the preference, but unfortunately the default is
> false such that the new way still presses in for each new image.
>
> In the original thread, there were two people who expressed this was a
> "step backward" for them, but there were no proponents for the change
> voiced.  Therefore, unless there are strong objectors who can make
> some arguments for, I'd like to put the default value for this to
> restore the default functionality that has been there for years.
>
> 3.11 has suffered several usability degradations over 3.9 in terms of
> the UI.  I would like to begin addressing them, starting with this
> one.

A big fat -1 from me. From my perspective the rectangular frame is ugly.
Simple as that. It's visually unpleasant and in conflict with the rest
of the window and the default shouldn't be that. If the new cue is too
subtle to be of use for you personally, that's what we got preferences
for, but I think we should at least *try* to get a teenie weenie bit
less heinous in the default L&F.

Cheers,
   - Andreas