[squeak-dev] Re: Simple Frame Adornments - default value (was: unsaved changes indicator)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 23:18:52 UTC 2010

On 3/3/2010 2:22 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Ok, thanks for speaking up, I just didn't know whether there was any
> voice at all for the new look.
>
> And please don't get me wrong, I am *all for* better form.  And I even
> agree, this one "looks" better, artistically.  It's just that some of
> the 3.11 improvements to form have come at a cost to function, and
> THAT, in itself, can sometimes detracts from form somewhat (i.e.,
> greater function has implicitly better form).  Perhaps we considered
> making the ugly solid-line red-frame simply look better, like with
> three progressively-more translucent rectangles, each inset one pixel
> of the outer?  Or maybe a combination of the two looks, one
> (translucent?) line combined with the new (corner) look.
>
> Since your -1 is big and fat, I consider it the winner of the vote and
> I'll adjust my own Preference file accordingly.

Sorry, I did not mean to end this discussion. My big and fat was a
"personal modifier"; I think we should find out whether people would
prefer the default to be optimized for the looks or not. There are other
aspects that I feel similarly about (colored window backgrounds being
one) and that we've ended up to default to something else than my liking.

We need to find a way of doing quick community polls for those things;
requiring people to post on the matter won't get us as much feedback as
having an anonymous 3-click polling mechanism that's open for two days
and just posts the results to the list.

> Going forward, if we
> can find ways to have our cake and eat it too, it would be better than
> having introduce a yet another Preference that forces one to choose
> between form and function.

Yes. And if anyone has suggestions towards this end, please post them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas