[squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 00:05:10 UTC 2010

On 4 March 2010 01:50, Nicolas Cellier
> 2010/3/4 Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:
>> 2010/3/4 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:

>>> this is also means better modulatiry.
>>>
>>> -4) Because of the way of thinking. First thought, when you need
>>> something to do is: 'I need to find method',
>>> not 'I need a SystemNavigation to find a method'. This means, that
>>> initially, to describe our intent we using verbs, which characterizing
>>> what you going to do,  and only then we going to next question 'what
>>> is a proper tool to do that?'  or 'what object(s) should be used to do
>>> that?'. And in this way we are forming a message - selector is verb,
>>> and receiver is noun.
>>
>> Well, not exactly here, we are complexifying the grammar a bit:
>>
>> Smalltalk vm
>> Smalltalk commandLine
>>
>> This are just nouns at genitive case... The verb will follow.

It was about removing extra globals from use.
Smalltalk vm version.  Smalltalk query implementorsOf: #foo
is better than
SmalltalkVm version. SystemNavigation implementorsOf: #foo
because we using less globals :)

>> Nicolas
>>

> Just another thought: you might ask does it scale ?
> No.
> Having thousands of message or more indirections would just be bad...
>   Smalltalk vm memory policy doSomething

will you prefer 'SmalltalkVMMemoryPolicy doSomething'? ;)

The explosion of names have to happen somewhere, when you adding new
functionality.

> But the answer is:we don't want to scale !
> We want a small manageable Kernel, don't we ?

indeed.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.