[squeak-dev] Re: Simple Frame Adornments - default value (was: unsaved changes indicator)

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 4 01:22:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 13:49 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 3/3/2010 12:40 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> > Thanks for adding the preference, but unfortunately the default is
> > false such that the new way still presses in for each new image.
> >
> > In the original thread, there were two people who expressed this was a
> > "step backward" for them, but there were no proponents for the change
> > voiced.  Therefore, unless there are strong objectors who can make
> > some arguments for, I'd like to put the default value for this to
> > restore the default functionality that has been there for years.
> >
> > 3.11 has suffered several usability degradations over 3.9 in terms of
> > the UI.  I would like to begin addressing them, starting with this
> > one.
>
> A big fat -1 from me. From my perspective the rectangular frame is ugly.
> Simple as that. It's visually unpleasant and in conflict with the rest
> of the window and the default shouldn't be that. If the new cue is too
> subtle to be of use for you personally, that's what we got preferences
> for, but I think we should at least *try* to get a teenie weenie bit
> less heinous in the default L&F.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

I agree with Andreas here, that's why it was done for Polymorph,
inspired by Newspeak.

Not just about look and feel, but like being held back in moving
forward. Remember that we want Squeak to be inviting to newcomers too...

Perhaps some "out of image" representation of preferences would be
useful to avoid upsetting user's personal preferences?

Regards, Gary.