[squeak-dev] Re: Object>>#is:? (was: Re: PackageDependencyTest)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 21:04:17 UTC 2010

2010/3/4 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
>> I really fail to see how #is: is complex and messy. Really.
>
> well for one thing all #is:-type of attributes have to be centralized in one
> place, the #is: method.
>
> a Morph that isMorph, isBeautiful and isWhatMyUncleLikes has to provide the
> three answers to very different questions in the same place. Now if another
> package needs to know if a Morph isMyCupOfTea, it must override aMorph>>#is:

why Morph should ever care about answering to isBeatiful or isWhatMyUncleLikes ?
isMorph is enough.

If your object supports multiple aspects , like
 #isApple
and
 #isFruit
then i'd expect to have a single class for every single aspect.

> so #is: can not actually safely belong to a single package. while
> #isWhatMyUncleLikes will only be in my package MyUncle, except if someone
> else has the same kind of weird ideas about protocol names.

ah yeah! And to achieve this, you need to patch an Object class by
adding #isWhatMyUncleLikes.
But Object really does not belongs to your package.

> plus, looking for the senders of #isBeautiful immediately gives me all
> classes responding to the protocol. with the #is: idea, all protocols are
> mangled in one: you have to look at all #is: implementations, in all objects
> (!) to see where you protocol went. if that's not messy, call me Joséphine.

No. Things remain same, if you will use #is: in a way, how Juan using it

is: aSymbol
  ^ aSymbol == #myUniqueAspect ifFalse: [ super is: aSymbol ]

if you browse all senders of #myUniqueAspect, you will easily find this method.

Btw, i'm also think that adding #isKindOf: to base class is an overkill.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.