Boolean expressions (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Object>>#is:? (was: Re: PackageDependencyTest))

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Mar 4 21:07:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> let's now consider MySpecializedMorph, a subclass of MyMorph that I *do
>> not* want to be considered as MyMorph:
>>
>> is: aSymbol
>>     (super is: aSymbol and: [aSymbol =~ #MyMorph])
>>         or: [aSymbol == #MySpecializedMorph]) ifTrue: [^ true].
>>     ^ false
>>
>> see the problem ?
>
> Yes, I see it. As I see it, #is: is for asking about conformance to a certain
> protocol. And your MySpecializedMorph does know what protocols it conforms.
> So it can implement something like:
>
> is: aSymbol
>   aSymbol == #Morph ifTrue: [^true].
>   aSymbol == #MySpecializedMorph ifTrue: [^true].
>   ^false

I don't get you guys, why do these expressions have to be so
complicated? Just compare this with those above:

is: aSymbol

 	^aSymbol == #Morph or: [ aSymbol == #MySpecializedMorph ]

If you have a lot of protocols you can use the super fast
primitive supported #pointsTo: and have a lot cleaner (and possibly
faster) code:

is: aSymbol

 	^#(Morph MySpecializedMorph FooMorph BarMorph) pointsTo: aSymbol

Levente