[squeak-dev] Re: [Election] Candidate list with 11 candidates is final, 6 days until election starts!

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:45:46 UTC 2010

Germán,

since interoperability was on my list, here's an attempt ... :-)

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would happen if at some point such frameworks start not working on
> Squeak? You (insert the candidate name here) think that Squeak Board/community
> should do anything about it or it is a responsibility of the authors
> of the framework?

Regarding the role of the board, I refer to the politician thing again
that was raised numerous times in that other thread. ;-)

The board should care about these things in my opinion. So how does
taking care look? Shaping and fostering an infrastructure that allows
for interoperability / applicability of packages and frameworks across
systems. That is,

* find which compatibility layers (like Grease, which Nicolas mentioned) exist,
* devote special attention to them by writing tests tests tests in all
available systems and frequently run them,
* encourage developers to actually use such compatibility layers by
keeping them up to date.

Actual developers will have to do something as well, obviously.

About the community: it should come to a conclusion whether there is
actual *interest* in having a package available across system
boundaries. Would the Pharo community like to include Etoys? I doubt
it, so the Pharo community will have little incentive to drive
interoperability in this particular regard.

Best,

Michael