[squeak-dev] Re: [Election] Candidate list with 11 candidates is final, 6 days until election starts!

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:31:57 UTC 2010

Hi Randal,

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:
> But let me also add that my vision is that we continue towards some degree of
> base compatibility, not just between the Squeak forks, but also with GST and
> the Cincom products and GemStone/S and other commercial smalltalks.  If this
> can be achieved at the core, that'd be great, but if we can keep up the work
> on both tools (Grease, Monticello) and documentation (such as the Seaside
> Porters Guidelines) that allow people to write cross-platform tools and
> applications, that'll work.

I fully agree with the compatibility item. I doubt, though, that it
will be possible to realise this at the core of Squeak given the
(historically grown) differences to GST/VW/STX/... - Squeak should not
commit to being every Smalltalk at once. (I know you're not saying
that, this is just a little exaggeration.)

There used to be a thing called Sport (Smalltalk portability library).
I haven't checked its status - what shape is it in? Does anyone know?

Best,

Michael