[squeak-dev] Re: [Election] Candidate list with 11 candidates is final, 6 days until election starts!

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 22:12:24 UTC 2010

El vie, 05-03-2010 a las 22:43 +0100, Bert Freudenberg escribió:
> On 05.03.2010, at 22:04, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
> >
> > El vie, 05-03-2010 a las 21:07 +0100, Michael Haupt escribió:
> >> Hi Miguel,

> >> nah. If yer intae oinchis, take a proper truck. ;-)
> >>
> >> Seriously, I see your point, and I think we agree that it really boils
> >> down to interest.
> >
> > Exactly. And that is precisely the issue that Pharo is solving. Squeak
> > don't give a cent about other uses outside of educational ones. They
> > have its point, I concede.
>
> There is no point to concede, that's simply a false accusation. I have no problem discussing actual issues, but I'd appreciate if you took unfounded bashing elsewhere.

Well that's your opinion, I maintain mine.

> Fact is, most of the developers on this list are *not* working on educational subjects. They want a practical Smalltalk that *includes* support for every conceivable use case.

That is the problem, Squeak is like a swiss knife, with everything
loaded just in case you needed. Most people just want or a knife or a
screwdriver, not everything in a big unpractical tool. Pharo can be a
knife or a screwdriver. Or can be a swiss knife if you want want (but
this serves only during development time, not on deployment time).

But hey, here we go again, discussions and discussions. I'm tired, keep
discussing. I just answered this thread because someone said that Etoys
will never be included in Pharo, and I said that if it were a loadable,
independent-of-squeak package, it would have by now a
ConfigurationOfEtoys in Pharo as just as Seaside have.

About of Squeak directions, I don't care anymore. If someday Squeak can
have every package loadable from squeaksource, good, I will load it from
my Pharo image. If Squeak never get to that point and remains to use the
monolitical image as a medium of conveying every and each package in the
world, well, it is 2010, even MS windows can have Internet Explorer
unloaded from the OS. The monolithic image pertains to the paleolithic
era.

So long.

--
Miguel Cobá