[squeak-dev] Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Gilad Bracha gilad at bracha.org
Sun Mar 7 01:54:28 UTC 2010

Josh,

Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.  It's more of a Smalltalk descendant. It is quite easy to migrate from Smalltalk to Newspeak however; we've done that with a substantial body of code (most of the Strongtalk version of the blue book libraries, our own GUI and IDE code and a few other things) and the result is generally better than the original because of Newspeak's modularity properties.

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> Since ESUG is going to act as the umbrella organization for GSoC projects in all Smalltalk dialects, perhaps this offers an opportunity for Newspeak to recruit some labor?
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Cheers, Gilad