[squeak-dev] Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Mar 7 16:17:07 UTC 2010

>>>>> "keith" == keith  <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

keith> I was told by a board member that charisma is what you need to move
keith> things forward around here. Apparently, neither Edgar nor I have that
keith> charisma, and Andreas does. Scary stuff for I thought was a technical
keith> forum.

And indeed, one quality of a leader is an ability to express yourself in a way
that can be understood and inspires others to action.  We'll call that
"charisma" for short.

And frankly, by that standard, Keith doesn't have that.  He may be technically
strong, but without the ability to inspire others to take aligned actions, he
isn't a leader.  Hint: it takes more carrots than sticks.

Andreas came with a plan that was easily understood, and inspired others to
action.  That's why his plan was followed, when Keith's wasn't.  It's that
simple.  It wasn't because Andreas was a board member, although the board
endorsed the announcement, just as the board had endorsed Keith's plan until
Keith failed to inspire the community.

Maybe it's not fair that a technical job should also require people skills.
But that's the way it is, particularly for leadership jobs. :)

Note: I'm saying absolutely *nothing* about Edgar here.  I have no opinion
one way or the other about Edgar.  I'm only talking about Keith's lack
of charisma.