[squeak-dev] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Sun Mar 7 18:09:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 13:04 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi smalltalkers. I have been asked to be the admin of GSoC 2010. The
> backup or second admin is Janko Mivšek. As you may know, Squeak has
> participated in GSoC 2007, 2008 but failed (not accepted) in 2009. We
> are not sure if we will succeed this year but we will try to do as
> much as possible.
> We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009
> is that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is
> why this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as
> the mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk
> dialects, not only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk,
> Cuis..they are all invited to participate. Also cross platform
> projects like Seaside, AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.
> <forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
> It is a Google program that support (money) students to work on
> different open-source projects. Google doesn't talk or manage directly
> to the students but trough "Mentoring Organisations". Those
> organizations have to apply to GSoC. They have to give a lot of
> information, included a list of ideas/projects. Each project has a
> description and a mentor. Then the students apply for each project. If
> the organization gets selected by Google they will tell you how many
> "slots" they give. Suppose they give 5 but we have 20 projects....then
> we vote and the most voted projects win. The student has to do the
> project and the mentor has to help and guide him. The mentor receives
> 500 USD and the student 4500USD.
> For more information read: http://code.google.com/soc/
> </forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
> The most important thing is the deadlines we have. We started late so
> we are very near to the first deadline which is 12/03/2010 (less than
> one week). For that deadline we need to submit all the information of
> the mentor organization (answering several questions) and give the
> list of ideas/projects and the mentors of that.
> We have created a webpage (Thanks Janko!!) where we will put all the
> information. We will make this page public soon (we still need to
> review a couple of things).
> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas.
> To do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the
> information and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short
> title and a paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
> After, we need that the people that are willing to be mentors start to
> apply as mentors...please, consider yourself being mentor. Sometimes
> it is not that difficult. I mean, don't be shy as sometimes being
> helpful, being aware of the dates, answering emails, etc is more
> important than the Smalltalk knoweldege. We can have a lot of ideas,
> but we need also mentors for that. We even would need a "substitute"
> for each mentor...
> Just as an example you can see the ideas of the previous years:
> 2007: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5936
> [...]

Please see the Open Slate Ideas page for the list of projects we will be

Have been waiting for the application period to open, which it just did.
I don't think any of ours are suitable for Smalltalk beyond Squeak, but:

    1. Will there be a Squeak submission, which OSP could join? From
this it sounds like "no."

    2. Does anyone think any of ours should go forward to ESUG?

Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
Sent from Slate001