[squeak-dev] More Candidate Questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 9 10:40:52 UTC 2010

On 09.03.2010, at 03:09, Ken G. Brown wrote:

>> Ken> Do you intend to continue with these previous commitments?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Ken> If so, what do you intend to put in place in order to build a legal
>> Ken> presence?
>>
>> Ensuring that Squeak becomes a project under the Software Freedom Conservancy
>> within the next few weeks.
>>

>> Really, just curious... you know our plans... what sort of answers did you
>> expect that aren't already repeatedly fully disclosed?
>
> I am interested in what the new Candidates say, or don't say, and not what the previous board or board members or vocal minorities say.
>
> Thank you for your responses.
> You are so far one of the 3 out of 11 Candidates who have responded.
>
> Ken G. Brown

You really want a "me too" response?

Most here will know this but since we fortunately attracted new community members I'll try to summarize:

Getting a legal presence established has been a community goal for years. It's where the term "Squeak Foundation" comes from - the original idea was to create a non-profit organization. Turned out none of us engineer-types could make it happen, so a while ago we decided to outsource that part. The Software Freedom Conservancy is an organization precisely for that, it provides a legal home for many projects, better and lesser known:

	http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/members/

The prerequisite for joining the SFC is to run a Free Software project. That's one of the major driving forces of getting a license-clean release. We're now literally days away from that release, and becoming a proper SFC member. The SOB worked with the SFC lawyers for far more than a year, but now the contract is ready to be signed.

I don't really see why anyone would be opposed to that. Nobody, board member or not, spoke out previously against it. So I'd fully expect all candidates to support this, and I don't see the point of your question.

But here's my short answer: Me too. ;)

- Bert -