[squeak-dev] Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Mar 10 00:27:11 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> writes:

Matthew> Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
Matthew> refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
Matthew> change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
Matthew> the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
Matthew> SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
Matthew> needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.

Matthew> What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
Matthew> on this; I have more important things to worry about.

Very old Squeak:

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     Smalltalk version

Squeak after they decided that #version didn't belong in SystemDictionary
(3.8?):

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     SmalltalkImage current version

Squeak trunk, after Andreas fixed history:

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     Smalltalk version
     SmlltalkImage current version "still works"

In other words, everything old is new again, and everything recent
still works.

Smalltalk responds to all of the protocol of both SystemDictionary and the
intermediate SmalltalkImage.