[squeak-dev] Object >> future

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:21:17 UTC 2010

Hi. Someone noticed on IRC today that Object >> future (and
friends like futureSend: and the compiler optimization of
future) are kind of odd things to have in the base image. I said
it's there for Croquet, but then I looked again, and noticed
that Croquet actually changes the behavior of future (it uses a
TFutureMaker rather than a FutureMaker). No idea whether the two
implementations are compatable or not; haven't examined either
in depth.

Since I'm porting Cobalt to trunk, I may have to override this
method in Cobalt, but I'm wondering: Why is it here in the first
place? Is it something ported from Tweak? Is it something
leftover from 3.3? Is it something else entirely like a remnant
of Squeak-E? Or is it just a simple, if rarely used, method in
core squeak?

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)