[squeak-dev] I wish retake old good practice

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 10 14:07:12 UTC 2010

On 10.03.2010, at 12:34, keith wrote:

> it was the decision that was made after the 3.9 arguments that caused the 3.9 team so much pain.

The 3.9 aftermath was not nice and I regret the pain it caused. But the root problem was that Marcus and Stef had to do way too much on their own. No release team should ever have to do that much work again. What they did was heroic and I'm still thankful for that, but it was not sustainable.

That's why we needed a new process where people could contribute directly, and we hopefully now found one with the Trunk contribution process.
That's also why I'm advocating against a release team that does anything more than actually package a release.
And that's why I'm arguing for a freeze period on Trunk when we near a release to let the dust settle, so effectively *everybody* is working towards the release, and not just one or two people.

> If the discussions about 3.11 had happened on the release list then the whole debacle would not have happened in the first place.

If the 3.11 discussions happened on squeak-dev instead of IRC and lesser frequented mailing lists, you would have had a lot more support. Visibility and communication is key.

- Bert -