[squeak-dev] I wish retake old good practice

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 16:02:32 UTC 2010

>> If the 3.11 discussions happened on squeak-dev instead of IRC and
>> lesser frequented mailing lists, you would have had a lot more
>> support. Visibility and communication is key.

No actually it is not.

In a community as diverse as this one, it is of no benefit to throw
every decision to the unwashed masses of lurkers and non-contributing
armchair critics. You will never get consensus. (Why not ask Marcus
Denker what he thinks of Squeak-dev) You are far better of having an
actual plan. and doing it. People can read and discuss the plan if
they want to.

The board is supposed to provide the liason and the stability.

The team is supposed to get on with the job, unhindered by the
transient clutter of squeak-dev

What is this management 101? Have you never heard of the
responsibility of management to protect the team from inappropriate
pressures.

Secondly, using Squeak-dev for release team discussion was not viable
for me personally, but no one, least of all the board, listened to me
on that one.

Keith