[squeak-dev] Object >> future

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:32:41 UTC 2010

2010/3/10 keith <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:

> Why do you feel that you are entitled to have me make this available in
> whichever image you've decided to use?  I have not heard users of Cuis,
> Pharo, or Cobalt ask for this functionality.  Why should I spend my limited
> spare time creating and maintaining loadable packages for these?
>

> Because if you had thought about the problem first, in the light of the fact
> that we are living in a multi-fork world, then your innovation could have
> been designed to be potentially loadable in all forks from the start, and
> derived images (with tool support to help you with building and testing it
> in all targets) , and you could have used 3.10.2 as one example use case of
> the integration of that innovation, for others to copy.

Keith,
This is absurd. We can not develop trunk patches in 3.10.2.
If it would be true, that would mean that you can take all the
"patches" applied from 3.10.2 up to latest trunk and reload them in
any order.
I really want you to try before speaking.
I wonder what other squeakers think about closures/faster sets/new
trailers/SmalltalkImage etc... :
- shall we revert them and wait for a better engineered universal
- or are we happy with a better than nothing trunk-only version ?
In fact, these are not even trunk-only, because Juan, you and pharoers
can take a part of the burden and port important things to fork.
I don't say that the statu quo is ideal, nor that we should not
improve inter-fork exchange, but Keith, not this model please !

Nicolas