[squeak-dev] Re: Coding style

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 10 22:02:30 UTC 2010

On 10.03.2010, at 22:47, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/10 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> > On 3/10/2010 1:30 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> >>
> >> So it seems the main difference is that Levente prefers blocks to
> >> start on the same rather than next line.  That could probably be made
> >> a preference..
> >
> > FWIW, I think pretty-printing should be implemented by a simple visitor so
> > that people can trivially write their own rules. It's fair to have a few
> > preferences but I don't think a one-size-fits-all approach can possibly work
> > when it comes to style.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  - Andreas
> >

> Among things I dont like:
>
> source:
> test
>        ^16r7F
>
> pretty print:
> test
>        ^127
>

> +1.  But you're going to have to attach metadata to e.g. LiteralNode and get that metadata from the number parsing.  And for fixing that, You Da Man!! :) :)

What would be Way Cool is if the "source code" would just be some hints to reformat the decompiler output to match what was typed. There could be immense space savings :)

Though my original question wasn't at all about pretty printing but I guess that direction of discussion was to be expected ...

- Bert -