[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Monticello-ar.379.mcz

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 11 03:29:25 UTC 2010

On 3/10/2010 6:54 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Andreas, i think that checking the repo before commit is brittle thing:
> a) You not always comitting into same repository.
> b) A remote repository is not always accessible, and so, one may
> simply save a file into local filesystem, and then manually copy it to
> the server.
> c) a most insulting thing is, that when you clicking 'save', it trying
> to connect to the net _before_ saving a file on local repository, and
> throwing an exception into your face instead of doing a simplest
> possible thing - just save it.

We simply have different working styles. None of the above applies to my
workflows. For example, I *do* commit into the same repostories
practically always (if I don't then it's because I'm doing an explicit
merge and single false positive really doesn't matter) and my remote
repositories *are* always accessible (if they aren't I call up our admin
and give him an earful) and since MC is going to commit it to the
repository anyway, having it contact it sooner rather than later makes
absolutely no difference to me.

I'm not saying you have to use this style, I'm saying it works for me
and is much more efficient than the alternatives. In particular checking
a repository after each commit is something that I just can't be
bothered with. Doing this kind of mechanical stuff is exactly what tools
are for.

Cheers,
   - Andreas