[squeak-dev] "local" vs. "persistent" preferences

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Mar 11 05:52:08 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-10, at 9:20 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have an axe to grind with regards to preferences. In my use, having project-local preferences is completely pointless and consequently having the "local" option in the preference browser is pointless too.
>
> What I'd rather like to see are *persistent* preferences, i.e., preferences that are picked up automatically in all the images that I use.
>
> What do people think? Worth throwing out "local" preferences and instead use "persistent" ones?

+1.

One of the things I think Squeak is missing is the notion of shared resources. VW has the $VISUALWORKS directory where it looks for parcels and the like, and most other programming languages have directories where libraries and other resources are installed.

The only thing that's currently shared between images in Squeak is the sources file. I think it would be good to have a user-specific, and possibly system-wide location where things that are shared between images could be stored. Off the top of my head:

	- the sources file
	- persisted preferences
	- MC cache repository
	- SM cache