[squeak-dev] Re: I wish retake old good practice

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 11 10:42:22 UTC 2010

On 11.03.2010, at 07:40, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/11/10 4:15 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> I'm not quite sure what you mean here but the release process isn't
>> usually the place to innovate. See for example the articles here:
>

> Well , if I can't do in Release new ways and only business as usual ....
> And what the trunk is ? A new way you start.
> Too bad "my expertise", which is not to much do not have more exposure.
> I like SL3 become SqueakCore, but if you do not want it, stop me until
> someone else comes with the same is veeeery unfair.
>
> All now talk about modularization. JustTalk.
> I very old for JustTalk, need SmallTalk now and not in two years.
>
> But if the only thing I could do is YOUR list , well I do.
> And  continue with Mendieta at my own.
> Can't use Experiments for it?
> And let bold Squeakers have now 4.2 ?

Well, IMHO you have to wear two hats at the same time.

For new stuff that should get into a release eventually, wear your core-developer hat. Discuss on squeak-dev, get it into trunk.

For actually making the release, wear your release-manager hat. Package what's in trunk. No more.

And btw, nobody is saying the trunk process is perfect. We need to refine it, and possibly switch to another model some day if we figure out an even better way to gather contributions. But for now it's what we have, and to get wide support for your ideas IMHO it would be best for you to stick to it.

- Bert -