[squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Thu Mar 11 22:32:23 UTC 2010

>> I'm wondering: I don't really know how the people who want underscores
>> plan to use this, but would it make sense to scope this differently,
>> i.e., either on a per-class or even a per-method basis?
>
> Scoping? Why? A preference is
>    a) simple
>    b) settable by the image owner who is able to decide if he
>       wants to allow it or not (same as with underscores)

scoping makes it possible to load code using selectors with underscores
in an image where most classes still use underscores for assignments.

I do not see any other way to avoid forcing everybody to review their
code and check all assignments.

plus, if underscores in methods are mostly useful when interfacing with
external blobs as Nicolas put it, a per-class scoping makes sense since
only classes involved with the blob would really need underscored selectors.

so, scoping gives the functionality you want and gives all other people
confidence that their code won't break. how do other solutions compare ?

Stef