[squeak-dev] [Election] ...is soon upon us! Last day info

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 12 01:15:20 UTC 2010

On 12.03.2010, at 00:53, keith wrote:

> Bert says that being on the board is like being among friends.

That's not quite what I said, I was talking about the whole community, not just the board.

> we had a good crew on irc for the past three years, along comes Andreas, a relative outsider to the irc crew, ignores all the existing channels, and over-rules.

You were constructing an alternate reality on IRC that still is alien to the Squeak community. It may feel like home to you, but you apparently do not care about what the majority of us feels comfortable with.

You want to move Squeak to be more like other open-source communities. I can understand that desire, because I'm also active in other open-source projects. I love my command line, git, shell scripts, etc. But many others here just don't have your IRC/unix/script/bazaar background. Few even know well-managed open-source projects. Preferably with a clean license from the beginning. Etc.

So I see why you insist that your way would be better, and you may even be right. But I'm also part of this community for a dozen plus years and know it's not going to follow you on a whim. This community is different, for better and worse.

>  Where was the friendship operating there? A friend would have told him to get stuffed, where was he for the past 3/4 years, he had not contributed a bean to the community, and even the fixes he did contribute was like getting blood out of a stone.

I'm quite happy to meet friends I haven't seen in years. Doesn't hurt the friendship a bit.

- Bert -