[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] LAST CHANCE Foreing Function Interface GSOC [WAS] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gilad Bracha gbracha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 06:24:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Javier Pimás <elpochodelagente at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi! Recently I discovered that there is a parser project called SmaCC. I
> don't know if it works, but I think it includes parsers for C, Java and
> Smalltalk, do you know/did you try it?

Thanks, but no thanks :-)

I know SmaCC exists, but I never use parser generators. In Newspeak we use
parser combinators, which is a much nicer approach. There is a Smalltalk
version of the parser combinator library as well as a Newspeak one.
Making parsers is easy if you have the correct grammar.

There is of course something to be said for a ready made parser if it exists
- but you have to be confident it is correct, and you become dependent on
the framework it uses.

--
Cheers, Gilad