[squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Fri Mar 12 08:48:42 UTC 2010

> If one really mixes "underscore assignment" and "underscores in selectors"
> then I would rather see x_ 1 converted to x := 1 or at least x _ 1

sure, but that's not so easy:

> Hey it's all code and changeable! Especially when we have tools
> like RefactoringBrowser, Rewrite Tool, ... and a dynamic system
> that is able to tell us where such code exists.

those tools will break the methods formatting and change the methods
date and authors initials. that's a lot of metainfo lost (especially
formatting: I personnally can't parse the result of the prettyprinter)

so, as usual when I object to something, I'm not driven by ideological
positions; I'm only concerned about the amount of work the proposed
change is going to force me to do on my code. here, in case the
underscore assignment becomes fuly illegal, it looks like a lot of work.

cheers,

Stef