[squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 12 16:02:53 UTC 2010

> "Torsten Bergmann"
> It's an interesting discussion - I should have read the warning in
> Ians original changeset more clearly. It said:
>
>   "Use of this changeset has been officially condemned by the
>    Independent Board of Syntactical Aesthetics for Squeak."  :)

+3
LOL

> >Just 2r11 from a "legacy" Smalltalker who, yes, still uses MVC, albeit
> >running in parallel in a custom VM on a 64-core Tilera chip.  ;-)
>
> How is the project going, havent heard from it since 2008?

The Renaissance project is going on nicely.  Dave Ungar and I have VMs for
both Tilera Tile64 and Intel Multicore (thanks to our collaborator Stefan
Marr of Vrije Univ).  We have also defined an experimental language for
using our new massively parallel programming model concepts.  Its a variant
of Javascript/Self, and we have a fledgling IDE developed for it in Squeak.
More details soon as we are hoping to open source the effort.

Along the way I have also developed an MVC version of the Object Explorer
and a bunch of other goodies, running in our relatively tiny MVC images.
May get to open source the whole batch if approved.

And, er, the language uses underscores as normal characters, since our
target programming community is Javascript folks.

Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
Mobile: 919-696-6064, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
Asst: Kenndra K. Quiles. (732) 926-2292 Fax: (732) 926-2455, email:
Kenndra at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote on 03/12/2010 10:31:11
AM:

> "Torsten Bergmann" <astares at gmx.de>
> Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> 03/12/2010 10:31 AM
>
> Please respond to
> The general-purpose Squeak developers list <squeak-
> dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>

> squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores
>
> Hi Sam,
>
> >Supporting underscores in selectors makes a significant change to how
the
> >code looks to the eyes
> >You can argue its not that important, or folks should just change and
> >enjoy it, but it does impact readability.
>
> You seem to miss my point here. I AGREE with you regarding readability
>  - since I like well written Smalltalk code in the same way you like it.
>
> A #fooBar is always better than a #foo_Bar! Nothing said about it -
> I have no beard but appreciate reading/writing clean Smalltalk
>  code since 1994...
>

> BUT:
>
> CALL_ME_BACK: is also more readable than CALLMEBACK in an
> FFI callback, especially when the C function has the same name
>
> The other Smalltalks allowed to use underscores in selectors
> and still have well written and readable Smalltalk methods.
>
> You may argue that this is due to their commercial nature -
> but I believe it's because Smalltalk people really use this
> feature carefully.
>
> I think you fear that after introducing this change anybody
> is
instantly_switching_to_writing_ALL_its_method_selectors_with_underscores