[squeak-dev] GSoC idea: Brainstorming portal for better community decision process

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Fri Mar 12 16:20:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 13:45 +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> > 2010/3/11 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:
> >> Dear Smalltalkers,
> >>
> >> Becasue we have quite some problems in a community with seeking a
> >> consensus on important questions, from organization ones and on, I came
> >> to idea to build a tool for help. And a GSoC project can be an ideal
> >> opportunity to build such a tool. What do you think?
> >>
> >> Here is a description:
> >>
> >> Brainstorming portal for better community decision process
> >> ==========================================================
> >>
> >> Create a web portal for brainstorming sessions/meetings to get ideas and
> >> answers to important questions in Smalltalk community. Portal should
> >> allow on-line to:
> >>
> >>   1. brainstorm the ideas
> >>   2. vote to get-out the best ideas
> >>   3. seek consensus
> >>   4. analyze - report

> On 11. 03. 2010 12:30, Ian Trudel wrote:
>
> > I like your idea. Have you considered the very same idea but
> > implemented as as a client-server within Squeak rather than a portal?
>
> Thanks! Not yet, but I see an easy extension of this idea to the GUI
> client later.
>
> > Accessibility is certainly important and this system could be a good
> > Seaside application. However, I am inclined to believe that it would
> > have a greater collateral impact if it was something used within
> > Squeak on both sides. We should want people spend as much time as
> > possible within Squeak to create a unique opportunity to bring new
> > features, correct bugs, etc. "It's right under your nose" style. This
> > would not be the same as a server side application.
>
> Yes, for some low level technical brainstorming for sure. But idea of
> this portal is broader: to cover also brainstorming about organizational
> questions (like those right now in Squeak community), general ideas for
> new projects, etc etc. On this level a web browser is for sure your
> preferred client.

I think both of these viewpoints are correct. For this specific app I
agree with Ian, that it should be written as a client/server app in
Squeak. This would be very close to my concept of the core technology
for OSP, the Super Chalk Board. I had not considered anonymity, but I
have seen such brainstorming tools used in the military. They were a fad
about ten years ago but I never hear about them any more, so might not
have been effective. Simple to implement.

<http://wiki.openslate.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Super_Chalk_Board_Design>

At the same time we cannot be writing "an app for that" for everything
that comes along. And, to play with others we need a good web browser.
Problem: hard to implement in Squeak. My proposed work-around: the X11
Display Morph.

http://wiki.openslate.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Squeak_X11_Display_Morph

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu