[squeak-dev] image overload

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 17:59:20 UTC 2010

Hi All,

    I'm sure Im opening an old topic but anyway, as I was riding the train
to work today I saw a shop called "Audio Images" and it struck me how
overloaded the term image is, and how poor a term for the contents of the
image file Smalltalk image is.  What's in the image is a snapshot of...
almost the entire system (minus platform-specific virtual machine and
possibly minus sources).  So Smalltalk system file would be a far better
term and stsys a more unique file extension (and according to Wikipedia STS
is unused too).  I can imagine that changing form image would be hugely
expensive in documentation terms (docs, websites, workspaces, etc, etc).
 But I can at least dream of a better term.

P.S.  I know, wasting one's time worrying about names.  Almost as bad as
worrying about colours

"And the wheel," said the Captain, "What about this wheel thingy? It sounds
a terribly interesting project."
"Ah," said the marketing girl, "Well, we're having a little difficulty
there."
"Difficulty?" exclaimed Ford. "Difficulty? What do you mean, difficulty?
It's the single simplest machine in the entire Universe!"
The marketing girl soured him with a look.
"Alright, Mr. Wiseguy," she said, "if you're so clever, you tell us what
colour it should be."