[squeak-dev] image overload

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:16:04 UTC 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/3/12 Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de>:
>> I like the term "Dynamic Object system" since Smalltalk is more
>> than just the language.
>>
>> But Dynamic Object System/Storage would lead to "DOS" which
>> is mostly negative in IT (Disk Operating System from M$
>> and Denial of Service ...)
>>
>> Maybe DOP - "Dynamic Object Pool" ...
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

> Well, the snapshot is just a Frozen System State. You need to warm it
> up to let Dynamic Objects live again.

I like Terry's ObjectSoup. In addition to freezing/thawing metaphors,
one that I had thrown at me about a year back, is the term pickling.
Supposedly (according to our resident Archeosmalltalker Steve Dahl),
back in the day, there was always talk about how to properly "pickle"
things across saves. So we could say we "pickle our objects", and
everyone knows pickles go in jars. There ya have it, it let's call 'em
jar files. :D

Other than that, I vote for referring to the image as the petri dish.
Or culture. Overloading culture would lead to all kinds of interesting
discussions.

"So, how's your culture?" "Oh, man, my culture's all messed up. I had
to restart my culture." Culture even works at some broader sense,
since cultures all about Behaviors, and that's what Smalltalk is all
about as well.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist