[squeak-dev] Regarding Polymorph

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 13 17:35:20 UTC 2010

If it was ToolBuilder through and through I could have managed (mostly) with
no "extension" methods... that being the main grief with regards to ongoing
changes in trunk... ToolBuilder itself has an adaptable start-point/factory
(c.f. PSToolBuilder). As you identified, not all uses ToolBuilder, hence
lower-level "hacks" required to theme the ide as a whole.

Though, as I mentioned, (implied?) ToolBuilder does severely limit
expressiveness for applications since the "protocol" of allowable
things/widgets/controls is inherently limited. Not to say that ToolBuilder
couldn't be adapted to essentially mirror a decent set of
widgets/controls...

Even so, there are parts of Morphic that, even with a rich ToolBuilder,
would need some refactoring to become more flexible (a lot of assumptions in
the the basic user-event handling and propogation, for example...)

Regards, Gary