[squeak-dev] NetNameResolver/ifconfig/interfaces

Ramiro Diaz Trepat ramiro at diaztrepat.name
Sat Mar 13 21:37:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM, John M McIntosh <
johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Ok, well I spent the evening looking into this. It's unclear if reverting
> the new/old socket stuff in Pharo is a good idea,
> or if we just adjust things a bit in the name lookup that would solve
> things. There are two questions to resolve
>
> (1) Do we want to return an IPV4 address from the network lookup? or an
> IPV6 address?
> (2) What do we do when we have 2 or more active IP interfaces on the
> machine, prompt for which one to use? Pick one at random, use the first or
> last one?

If you are resolving localhost, you should always translate to
the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 in IPv4, or ::1 in IPv6.  This is what
wikipedia says about it at least (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost).
If you are resolving any other host (including the one the vm is running
on), IMHO you should return the first one from the list returned by the DNS,
or one at random, I don't see the difference.
I don't know understand why interfaces should matter at all.