[squeak-dev] [ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 15 15:03:02 UTC 2010

On 15.03.2010, at 12:46, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/15/10 10:28 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
>> So if these are personal experiments, maybe it would be a good idea to put
>> them in a personal directory instead of the official download space.
>
> Too late.

It's never too late, hopefully :)

> I ask and give the reasons behind the move.
> And the response is yes
> Now is not my own fork

You asked for file space on squeak.org. We talked about that on the board. We felt it would be okay to allow this in the "Experiments" folder. So your wish was granted because we want to support experiments.

That by no means was an official endorsement. It's simply to help you do your experiments, regardless of the eventual outcome.

> Is a necessary point between a fork and a official to come release.

It's much too early to say how this will end up in a release to come. For now it's just that: an experiment. It may indeed become a future release, but when and how and if is not at all foreseeable yet.

> We still don't get 4.0, so why you bother if I work on 4.2?

Why *shouldn't* I be interested in what you do? :)

Also, I'm trying to be as explicit as possible with you in particular to overcome our language barriers.

> And having the pet on the open , as previously agree, all could say sucks ,
> so I fix and improve.

It would be as accessible in a personal directory. Only if more people started to work on this then indeed a shared directory would be better than a personal one.

Also it's a question of scaling: if many more people want to do their experiments then the personal directory idea works much better than a single directory.

- Bert -