[squeak-dev] [Squeak 4.0] unix/linux VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Mar 16 03:10:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:21:07AM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>
> >I'm in the process of building out the release directory for 4.0 (it's
> >structure mirrors what's in 3.10, but with some files updated/added.)
> >
> >I suppose since we've updated the VMs for Mac and Windows for 4.0, I
> >may as well get whatever the latest greatest unix VM is. I'm not going
> >to bother rolling an RC as the unix VM isn't zipped up with anything
> >else (the file stands alone in 3.10 and I decided to leave it that
> >way.) But before I call it shipped, I'd like to get the file into the
> >directory.
> >
> >Can anyone point me at stable closure enabled unix, darwin, linux VMs?
>
> All unix vms can be found here: http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/
> There's the shiny "new" 3.11.3-2135, but it has several flaws, so we are
> still using 3.10-6 for deployment which is still closure enabled. The best
> would be to have a brand new vm built from the latest sources + patches,
> but I don't know if Ian has time to do that.

Casey,

Any of the Unix VMs at squeakvm.org/unix can run the Squeak 4.0 image.
A wide variety of Unix systems and distributions are supported, and
as Levente mentions a brand new vm build is likely to happen, but not
necessarily in your release time frame.

I think it is best to use the files from squeakvm.org/unix (despite
the concerns that Levente mentions) because these are the publicly
distributed current versions, and they are fully capable of running
the Squeak 4.0 image.

The said, the primary objective of the 4.0 release is to ship the relicensed
image, so IMO if you do not include any Unix VM files at all, you will
still meet the objectives of the release.

Dave