[squeak-dev] 4.0 Announcement?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Mar 16 19:58:24 UTC 2010

>>>>> "John" == John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> writes:

John> A web page summarizing the state of the license effort would be helpful.

>From http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/:

   Relatedly we continue to work with the Software Freedom Conservancy to
   finalize issues related to our joining this organization.  We are hopeful
   of completing this not long after Squeak 4.0 is released as this release is
   essential to the process

   The Squeak Oversight Board plans to finalize the multi-year effort of
   re-licensing Squeak. Squeak 4.0 is scheduled to be released on Monday,
   March 15th, 2010 and will be licensed under the MIT License with some
   original parts remaining under the Apache License. This release will be
   functionally equivalent to the previous 3.10.2 release. Current development
   work will be released as 4.1 as soon as possible following the release of
   4.0.

    Our discussions with the Software Freedom Conservancy continues and
    progress is occurring, if slowly at times.  Right now we are clarifying
    the exact wording regarding the licensing of the 4.0 release.  Squeak was
    originally released under a license written by Apple that we refer to as
    the Squeak License.

    In 2006 Apple agreed to relicense the final release of Squeak from Apple
    (1.1) under the Apple Public Source License.  After further thoughts and
    discussions this was decided to be a less than optimal choice and Apple
    agreed to relicense the release, this time under the Apache License.

    Since that time work has been going on to solicit agreement from Squeak
    contributors to relicense all subsequent contributions under the MIT
    License.  The result now is that parts of the image that are clearly
    descendants from the 1.1 release are under the Apache License and more
    recent contributions are under the MIT License.  These two licenses are
    compatible.

    The question is whether we can simply say ‘MIT License’ or have to say
    something like ‘parts under the Apache License with the remainder under
    the MIT License’.  We are awaiting guidance from SFC on this issue.  Once
    we sort that out we will be announcing the intent to officially release a
    version under the new licensing conditions as widely as possible with the
    goal of ensuring that all contributors to Squeak are aware of the change.