[squeak-dev] 4.1 release timing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 17 15:59:44 UTC 2010

Folks -

Now that 4.0 is out it's clear that the next version will be 4.1. One
thing that I've noticed is that various people (both on and offlist)
have pointed out that it may be good if we'd release 4.1 ASAP in order
to both, minimize confusion (i.e., "4.0 is like 3.10") as well as keep
up momentum (i.e., make submissions for 4.0 and 4.1 on news sites).

Originally, I had hoped that we'd take a bit of time to talk about what
packages, documentation, and apps to package into 4.1 but doing that
does take time (we haven't even started the discussion yet) and would
make it impossible to do a very quick 4.1 release. I'm open either way
but I'm curious what the community thinks:

Would you prefer a very quick 4.1 release (4 weeks max) that *just*
packages up the current trunk state (no extra packages in order to save
time) or would you prefer that we take some time now discuss this
through before 4.1?

Personally, I'm good either way; anything that won't be getting done
this round will be in the next, but I think pepping the release up a bit
would be good, too :-) So I'm curious what the community thinks.

Cheers,
   - Andreas