[squeak-dev] Re: immutibility

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Mar 17 17:25:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 17.03.2010, at 17:12, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> > Databases are for peasants. We are unique and occupy a unique position.
> Let's embrace that. Stop trying to turn us into shadows of Gemstone, Cimcom,
> or other merchants of tedium. If Kent Beck isn't happy with Squeak, I don't
> see it as our job to cater.
> >
> > There is nothing else on earth like us and what we do.
> > Squeak is a never ending game of capture the flag.
> >
> > Chris
>
> And even if it *was* only for databases it wouldn't hurt to support it in
> Squeak. It takes nothing away from the fun.

And it's not only about databases.  I would be interested in immutability
implementations that go beyond what VW does.  I would like to see some
thought given to deep immutability and irrevocable immutability (irrevocable
at least at some language layer).  These facilities would be immensely
useful for safely and efficiently sharing and replicating state between
processes.

- Stephen