[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Faster Sets and Pharo 1.1?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 01:09:21 UTC 2010

(Sorry Pharo, meant to post this to squeak-dev).

Thank you very much for the links.  Ok, so if you take Lukas' test
code from the first link, and try it in trunk.  Here it is, but
tweaked for an IdentitySet and increased to simulate a modestly-sized
real-world use-case, 250K elements:

| test ord |
test := IdentitySet new.
[ test size >= 250000 ] whileFalse: [
   ord := OrderedCollection new: 100.
   1000 timesRepeat: [
       test add: ( ord add: Object new ) ].
   Transcript
       show: test size asString;
       tab.
   Transcript show:
       [
           10 timesRepeat: [
               ord do: [ :each | test includes: each ] ]
       ] timeToRun asString.
   Transcript cr ]

3.9 can run this entire thing and be done with it in under one minute.
 In trunk, all looks pretty fine until 136K elements, at which point
it completely seizes up; worse by a factor of > 120X.

 - Chris

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Nicolas Cellier