immutability and become (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] immutability)

Markus Lampert markuslampert at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 04:51:49 UTC 2010

I would have assumed that an immutable object cannot become anything else. Neither any other object, nor another immutable object. If you can change the state of an object in any way, either by changing it's state directly or by ex-changing it with another object, I would not consider it 'immutable'.

SmallInteger seems to be an immutable object, although probably more a constraint than a design decision.

Have fun,
Markus