[squeak-dev] Installing Seaside 2.8/3.0 in 4.1 trunk image

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 03:59:49 UTC 2010

There are two ways to install Seaside, whether 3.0 or 2.8.3:
MetacelloRepository or "by hand" using Monticello. I have been a big
proponent of Metacello because it saves me work. One step; you're done. Now
I have reason to feel that it's not perfect.

If I install Seaside 3.0 using MetacelloRepository on Squeak Source, all is
well.

If I try the same thing using ConfiguationOfSeaside28-DaleHenrichs.18.mcz
from MonticelloRepository. Didn't work. There is no CSS. This is not good.
Suspecting a change, I tried ConfiguationOfSeaside28-DaleHenrichs.10.mcz.
Same result. No CSS.

Here's were it gets weird. If anybody is not a convert to Metacello, here's
something to note.

If I install the old fashioned way of loading 2.8.3, then there is no
problem installing in trunk image 4.1-9745-alpha.

That requires doing it with Monticello "by hand". Go to KomHttpServer.
Intall DynamicBindings, KomServices, and KomHttpServer. Then go to Seaside,
access the 2.8a1, and download the latest version. Start in a Workspace with
WAKom startOn: 8080, and it works.

This is actually pretty shocking to me, as I'd begun to regard on Metacello
as the non plus ultra.

Chris