[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] Pharo changing the game

Andres Valloud avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net
Sun Mar 21 20:46:31 UTC 2010

I think part of the problem is that, even assuming we can make a new
ANSI standard, making every Smalltalk ANSI-compliant will break a lot
(possibly all) existing applications.  This is a stiff price to pay, and
a lot of homework.  Perhaps it would be better to offer cross-platform
libraries that provide the functionality of collections, streams and so
on, but in a consistent manner.  I'd hope that eventually the
cross-platform libraries gain enough traction so that amending the
original libraries is not as large a hurdle to jump over.

I am aware of Grease, and I think I more or less know what it does.
Maybe not :).  Of course, writing a new, say, collection library is not
easy (or even fun), but I think it is also an opportunity to e.g.:
refactor the hashed collection hierarchy into something more meaningful
and useful.  I have a hard time seeing how this refactoring will occur
to original libraries without causing huge trauma (hence the cleanup
doesn't happen).

Andres.