[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 24 16:12:42 UTC 2010

Hi Torsten -

I very much like the idea in general but I'm having some doubts about
feasibility. I'm not sure if I've asked this already but in modern
Windows environment the installation location is read only. In other
words, if you're installing this into C:\Program Files\ you may not be
able to save/saveAs, you may not be able to write files, you may not be
able to launch external editors etc. Have you tested any of that?

I do know that Windows has some whacky rules about the install locations
(i.e., it actually has a shadow directory with files modified by the
local user) but in many ways that's worse because it can lead to strange
inconsistencies (files and changes gone when switching between users) if
you're using it with the assumptions that it's a normal directory.

Cheers,
   - Andreas