[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 05:20:17 UTC 2010

2010/3/25 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> On 3/24/2010 9:14 PM, Ian Trudel wrote:
>>
>> Right. Let's say we get a first test round with an installer. I have
>> generated a stand-alone executable installer from Torsten's
>> instructions. NSIS does not produce MSI per se.
>>

>> http://rapidshare.com/files/367835112/setup_squeak4.1-9745-alpha2010.03.23.exe.html
>
> Excellent, thanks! Now we're talking. First thing I notice is that the
> installer doesn't actually install anything into C:\Program Files? Silly me
> didn't even know you could do that! :-)

NSIS is much more powerful and customizable than MSI. Installation
directory can be defined however we want, including on different drive
or allow a user defined location. It is currently set to
%LocalAppData%. It should be all right for a single user environment.
To be noted that it would mean to install Squeak individually in a
multiple user environment. It's probably not a big deal to start with
but something to be addressed at some point.

> The other thing I noticed is that for some reason after the installation was
> complete and I ran Squeak I got a Windows notifier saying that the app might
> not have installed correctly. Do you know why this might be?

I believe it is an issue under Windows Vista and Windows 7 where the
application get shimmed. Have you tried to install as an administrator
(using RunAs or from the context menu on the installer file)? I don't
have the answer readily since we do not officially support Windows 7
for any of our products and barely Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shim_%28computing%29

> And one nitpick: The splash screen for Squeak shouldn't be used as splash
> screen for the installer. It's confusing; I thought that for some reason the
> installer was launching Squeak.

I agree. We should however come up with a replacement. I thought it
was a nice addition.

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Ian.