[squeak-dev] Re: Facelifting the second

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:55:40 UTC 2010

> * For people who prefer the colorful windows, go to Extras >> Window Colors
>>> Colorful Windows. I think the default should be uniform but for those of
> us who like their windows colored, it's trivial to change. Try it.

I, too, like the colored windows.  However, I don't use the
main-docking bar (because it covers my ClockMorph and my one-line
TextMorph I use for spawning new browsers via Alt+b, and sometimes as
a calculator or even very short workspace tests.  I submitted an
addition of these elements to the docking bar as a contribution in the
inbox.

Now, of course, I have a question about the new icons...  At first
look, I really liked them.  But as I accumulated quite a few windows
on the desktop, the window icons, particularly the red X close icon,
started to really stand out in my peripheral vision.  In particular, I
have several windows minimized, and I therefore have accumulated this
vertical row of red X's running down the left-side of the screen...

The last time I remember this "semi-distracting" sensation coming from
the window buttons was 3.7; when the #alternativeWindowBoxes look was
turned on.  It looked good initially at the time, but then I think
people started to dislike the look.  I don't think I was the only one
to think of them as "warts".

Has anyone else put a day's work in with these new icons and form any
opinions?  I think it would be nice to replace the old 3.7 "warts"
with this updated look,but for those of us who feel that the window
controls should not be standing out over the content, it might be nice
to be able to escape back to the softer or less-distracting look..

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pain, but try turning on
#alternativeWindowBoxes now, see how it is totally pointless, and
therefore we should replace that look with this new one..   ??