[squeak-dev] New Windows VM: 4.0.1

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 28 20:59:11 UTC 2010

Folks -

I've built a new Windows VM for the upcoming release (mostly to fix the
SqueakMap problem). Good thing I tried it first - it turns out that my
earlier fix for SqueakMap had fixed one particular version of the
problem, but there was another variant that it hadn't addressed (now it
does). With this VM I can use SqueakMap successfully.

However, since this was a major version switch I've also changed two
more issues that came up in the past:

1) The VM will now default to pass the window close event to the image
instead of handling it directly. You can see that in a current trunk
image by clicking on the close button (you'll now get a Squeak notifier
instead of the previous VM notifier). The old behavior is still
available if you SHIFT-Click on the close button. This is very useful if
your image hangs.

2) The VM name now reflects the version. In other words, this VM is
called Squeak4.0.1.exe to make it easier to distinguish between
versions. Unfortunately this also means you'll heave to create a new
association if you want to use this VM (hopefully, the installer will
take care of that later).

As always the VM is available here:

http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.0.1-bin.zip
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.0.1-src.zip