[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakMap default objects needs to be rehashed

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 30 04:41:40 UTC 2010

On 3/29/2010 3:36 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7485

Yup. Good call. The problem is deeper though. What we did was change the
hash function and as a result all the hashed collections that are
exchanged between images with different hash functions will fail.

A *perfect* example why ImageSegments are not a reliable long-term
storage btw. The bits are all the same but the interpretation of the
bits has changed (identityHash vs. scaledIdentityHash). Storing bits
without behaviors only works if you have tight control over both ends
(like in Croquet where we ensure identical code bases).

Cheers,
   - Andreas