[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:39:50 UTC 2010

2010/3/31 Gary Dunn <osp at aloha.com>:
> Just tested. Works fine. In Win 7 everything installs under Documents,
> which works fine and is nice because everything is in one place. As
> unprivileged user there was no uninstall in Control Panel, but the
> uninstall.exe worked well enough ... strange dialog box at the end about
> program not installing successfully, just close it. Right-click
> installer and run as administrator produces exactly the same result and
> the Control Panel uninstall is there. Recommend this be explained on the
> download web page.

Thanks for testing, Gary. I am looking for alternatives available at
user level and some of them are probably available. I have also
noticed that many other open source projects demand admin level to use
their installer; few examples: jdk, 7z, gvim, FreeMind, NetBeans, NSIS
Unicode, OOo, etc. In all consideration, it might not be a problem to
demand admin level.

> If it isn't too hard I suggest putting in a donation pitch at the end
> with info on where satisfied users can send some money. But first
> someone needs to take care of that on the web site; I looked and could
> not find any info on making a donation.

It's never too hard but we are all very busy. ;)

The idea is however fantastic and I love it. Can anyone provide
information, graphics/buttons, web page, etc? I believe to have read
that SOB will set-up something once everything is approved with SFC.
It'd be great to coordinate this with the upcoming official release.

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/